Monday, May 20, 2013

Back to Europe... The events.

If you missed part one, I'll give you a quick catch up.  I went to Europe to race, train, and spend some time at Powerslide HQ.  You're officially caught up(never said you missed very much).  Currently in the US there is about 3 big outdoor track style races a year(odn, west palm, and lets say Tampa despite it not being a track race).  What makes this odd, is that is the same number of track races I went to in 3 weeks in Europe. Maybe odd is the wrong word, lets go with sad... hmm no depressing.  There was a time when we could race in the US almost every week, and now the few meets left struggle to get a few hundred entries.  Europe, not so much, this is a run down of the events I went to.



The first race we went to was at the Arena Geisingen in Germany, the fastest track in the world(it also happens to be indoors).  People, if you love skating you have to go here at least once in your life.  You race with computer chips that are linked to a huge score board.  During races every one's lap times show up on the board, including the highlighted fastest lap of the race.  In a points race the score is constantly updated on to the score board, so all of the spectators know who's winning and who's not.  14 second laps are good here, but if you really want to turn some heads you have to break into the 13's(I believe it's happened twice).  Along with the the track, the Arena has a weight lifting gym, restaurant, and there's an outdoor road course.  I heard the final numbers of entries was 550, but only because they only allowed that many to enter.  I've said this once in this paragraph already, but seriously you need to go once.  Really... You'll thank me later.



Next we were off to Gross Gerau, Germany for the cleverly named Gross Gerau Kriterium.  A 300 meter road course that's super fast and super hard.  Last year I absolutely loved this event and was really looking forward to it this year.  Unfortunately for me, Mother Nature picked that weekend to show us who was boss.  After looking at the weather forecast I was worried, but I was assured they could only remember one time it rained in Gross Gerau.  Well we made it two.  However despite my rain, there was still a thousand people there(no seriously, 1000 people, and only 1000 because they won't let anyone else enter).  There's a huge field beside the track and tons of people just bring tents and just camp in the field.  Along with skate vendors there is also food places set up as well(I strongly suggest you grab one of the waffles with strawberries).  I hate being in the cold/rain and I skate god awfully in it, but despite the weather you cant help but enjoy the environment.  It's just tons and tons of people that are brought together by skating.


The 3rd race I went to was in Heerde, Holland for a track race on a super dished parabolic.  In the US we have a track in Colorado that we call parabolic.  IT'S NOT THE SAME!  I've been to Heerde for 2 years now and have no clue how people skate on the top of the bank like they do.  It's pretty awesome to watch, and looks so easy to do.  IT'S NOT EASY TO DO.  I don't really know the number of entries, but I'm guessing somewhere around  500-600.  The people in Holland always seem to have such a positive energy, and really love skating(maybe not quite as much as they love long track, but they still love us).  Just like the previous 2 events the level here was top notch, and if you get a chance to go take it.  I do suggest you come in a little bit early so you can learn how to stay at the top of the bank though.  Or maybe in my case I should have just stayed there, and hopefully I could figure it out before next year.  

So those were the 3 events I went to in 3 weekends.  There was over 2,000 skaters combined at the 3 events(yes I do realize some people went to all 3 events, but they get counted 3 times.  My blog, my rules).  I'm going to try and name all of the countries that had skaters representing them, but I'm sure to leave some out.  Sorry in advance for that... here we go..... USA,Germany, Holland, France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, Denmark, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia, and that's probably not it, but I can't think of more right now.  I know my words did these events no justice, so you all should probably just figure out a way to get to Europe next year and see for yourself.  Stay tuned I still have one or 2 more blogs about my trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment